Darning is one of the techniques I have yet to master. Unfortunately this year was mothmagedon and when I came back from holiday I discovered a hole in my Cloudette Cardigan. A rather large hole.
I had been wearing this top a few days before I noticed the infestation so apparently it the moths loved it. A word of advise: if you live in an area with moths and like to wear a particular top wash it after every wear in moth season! There are seven stitches affected and 5 rows missing. The first thing I did when I saw the hole was secure the stitches as best I could. The second was grab a drink while throwing the sweater in the freezer to kill any potential baby moths. Now it is out of the freezer and I’m trying to figure out how to fix it. I figure the best way to do this is to re-knit.
I cut a really long (approximately 4 metre) strand of the yarn I used in the project and worked duplicate stitch for 10 stitches before the hole drawing the yarn through so only a short tail was left at the beginning. Then I knit across the row of live stitches and worked duplicate stitch for 10 stitches after the hole. I repeated this across the rows of the hole and then grafted the top and bottom stitches together. This is the result:
The grafting ended up with a purl ridge on the knit side and the boundary between the repair and the rest of the garment shows a little. I’m not completely happy with how it turned out but I think it’s wearable for the moment. If it continues to bother me I can always rip the sleeve back and re-do it. For a first attempt at darning with a dark slippy lace-weight yarn I don’t think I could have done any better.